Whether you're suffering from irritated dry skin or an unmanageably oily complexion, your skin woes are very common and easily treatable. There are a number of products available at your local drug store that will work wonders, but maybe you're looking for a more natural approach to skin care. Here are the best natural remedies that will help you manage your dry or oily, acne-prone skin:
Natural Treatments for Dry Skin
During the winter months, the frigid temperatures combined with too much time spent in dry, heated air indoors can wreak havoc on your skin. If you're suffering from dry skin, there are several natural ways you can find relief. Here are a few of the best options:
- Create an At-Home Treatment with Olive Oil and Honey – Both olive oil and honey have natural, restorative properties that will help alleviate your dry skin – no matter the season. Simply create a mixture of equal parts olive oil and honey. Spread the product on any dry spots and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Wipe off the mixture with a damp, warm cloth and apply a moisturizing lotion afterwards.
- Take a Milk Bath – For centuries, women have bathed in milk to soften their dry skin. Of course, this isn't always practical because milk can be quite expensive. To enjoy the benefits of milk, simply add two to three cups of whole milk to your bath. Soak in the tub for several minutes. Rinse off your skin with cool water and apply a moisturizing lotion when you're finished. In addition to moisturizing your skin, milk also acts as a mild exfoliator.
- Use Avocados for More Than Guacamole – Instead of creating a delicious dip, use your avocados to create a facial mask. Remove all the flesh from inside of an avocado and place it in a glass bowl. Add a few drops of olive oil and one-half cup oatmeal. Apply the mixture to your entire face and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse off the concoction with cool water. Avocados contain vitamin C and fatty acids, both of which will help soothe your dry, irritated skin.
For best results, try to utilize one or all of these natural remedies at least once-a-week, especially during the colder winter months!
Natural Treatments for Oily Skin
According to Women's Health, genetics is the main reason why you're suffering from oily skin. However, stress, improper skin care and even the weather can make your oily skin even worse. Luckily, there are several natural ways to make your skin less oily and acne-prone:
- Create a Lemon Juice Mask – In addition to making a refreshing summer drink, the juice of lemons also acts like a natural astringent, which helps dry up the excess oil on your face. Combine the juice of one lemon and one cup of plain yogurt. Apply the mixture directly to your face, making sure to avoid getting it in your eyes. Allow the mask to sit for 10 minutes and rinse it away with lukewarm water.
- Oats and Buttermilk – To create an amazing facial mask that will zap away the excess oil on your face, begin by grinding one cup of rolled oats until it turns into a fine powder. Combine the oats with one egg white and one-half cup buttermilk. Apply the mixture to your face and allow it to remain for 10 to 15 minutes. The oats, buttermilk and egg white will all shrink your pores and eliminate any excess oil.
Whether you suffer from dry, itchy skin, or are plagued with oily, acne-prone skin, there are several all-natural remedies that will help you achieve the amazing complexion you're after. However, if these methods don't work, it may be time to schedule an appointment at a local skin clinic like Advanced Dermatology Care for planning treatment with an experienced dermatologist.